Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Toasted Linguine with Wild Garlic

Eeeeek!  Something went wrong during my cookery photoshoot last night.  I thought I'd photographed my completed dish but it's disappeared into the ether without trace, ne'er to be seen again.  Never mind!  Instead I'll have to show you somey arty shots of the raw ingredients of yesterday evening's tea.

It's the time of  year when wild garlic abounds and it's one of those ingredients where its addition to a cheffy dish would instantly mean a bigger price tag for its seasonality and  because its name contains the trendy 'W' word.
The wild green stuff was everywhere on our walk around Lydford Gorge  and rather than laying bare an entire patch of a National Trust beauty spot I picked a few leaves here and there.    I also made use of great clumps of the stuff that had been wrenched up by someone else.  Why do people do things like that?

And so onto finding a recipe in which to use my treasured foraging bounty.  I've used it in a risotto before but wanted to find something different.  And then I remembered that a little while back I read a Guardian blog post by Sonya Kidney about livening up everyday cooking.  She suggested roasting spaghetti but didn't give instructions on how to do it.  So, I emailed the Guardian and a nice researcher gave me a sneak preview of  Toasted Linguine with Wild Garlic
I urge you all to go out with your hunter gathering hats on and get some wild garlic yourself.  You eat the leaves rather than the bulb so you don't have to yank it out of the soil.    Then follow the link  in the last paragraph to the recipe to save me duplicating some perfectly good instructions.  It seems like a pfaff and does use rather a lot of pans but the whole dish was prepared in just thirty minutes.

And that roasting,toasting pasta palaver    Ch-chink!  I know how it's done now.  Here's ordinary durum wheat linguine, after it's been coated with olive oil and browned on a baking tray for fifteen minutes, being put onto boil and soften in its second stage of cooking. As the cookery writers say it really does lend a nutty flavour to the pasta that will ring the changes in many other recipes.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the idea . None growing this far north at present but I am site it will be soon as the weather warms up a bit.

    ReplyDelete