Monday, 18 January 2016

Looking Up At Eden

For a couple of low season weekends each year the Eden Project offers free admission for various folk who live  in Devon and Cornwall. NHS staff are among those who qualify and they can take friends.  Up to two adults and three children are included in the offer.  That could represent a saving of £83 on the full admission cost at the gate so it's a great bargain. What a generous community spirited thing to do!  One of our party of three adults and a kid had to pay for entry but there's also a local's pass that, for a one-off fee of £15 gives unlimited admission until 31 October.

So Salty Dog, Lil' Chris and Louis explored those iconic biomes. We'd all been before but there were new things to see. We climbed a wobbly staircase to a viewing platform to peruse the rainforest below.  Louis doesn't remember his last visit.  I think he might have been a babe in arms. Personally I found it a more pleasant experience than a summer visit with less crowds and lower temperatures.  That tropical spot is sweaty in summer.

I took a few pictures but I'm really quite pleased of the ones like this where plants, real or sculptural seem silhouetted against the honeycomb supports of those big bubbles.   I think these would look good enlarged and framed to make a memento of a wonderful day.

14 comments:

  1. Hi I have never been to the Eden project j think it will go in my list of places to visit for this year. Now I'm retired I will have more time to give to exploring new places. I've been playing with my blog name and profile but so far still not managed to post anything. I don't know how you and others manage to post such interesting stuff so regularly. The pic is very striking and would indeed look good blown up and framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's for commenting. When I started blogging I had ideas for about fifteen posts. Now I've written about 2,000. If you're curious the inspiration will come! xx

      Delete
  2. I would love to go to the Eden Project, but sadly it is a long way from here! ( Hertfordshire) I have been to the " greenhouses" at Kew, but probably not quite the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Kew years ago when the admission was absurdly cheap. It's somewhere I'd like to visit again. x

      Delete
  3. I was only looking at photos of the Eden project when we took our son as a 4 year old yesterday. It's amazing isn't it!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. It grows with the child. x

      Delete
  4. I've never been, but it looks amazing.
    Did you see the section on hospital parking on The One Show last week? I looked up and thought idly 'That looks like Torbay Hospital car park' (been there so often!). Sure enough it was - the Trust was being praised for offering a scheme of free parking for registered carers. Nothing to do with the Eden Project but another example of a good scheme for locals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 'secret' parking spot about ten minutes away that's free when I have to go for meetings and suchlike! There's quite a lot of schemes where registered carers can gain free admission and parking. It's worth investigating before a visit anywhere. x

      Delete
  5. What a lovely thing for the Eden Project to do. I visited when it first opened and then a few years later - it had changed quite a bit. Our ticket price included a return visit free but as I live in Norfolk I didn't get a chance to go again. Next time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same with Cardiff Castle for me.

      Delete
  6. I agree. That's a great photo. Look good framed. We went to the Eden project a few years ago. However ,its a sore point with me as dear hubby managed to delete all the photo's that we had taken there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless. You can copy mine if it helps those memories! x

      Delete
  7. Once a year Brighton residents are given free access to the Brighton Pavilion; it's always PACKED. I suppose it just shows what skinflints we all were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eden is bigger than Brighton Pavilion so all us skinflints could spread out!!! x

      Delete