Saturday, 22 October 2016

The Old Soak

The folk down at my local Aldi must think that I'm a right lush. First there was all that gin that I  tipped on a shedload of English and Breton sloes.  Oh wait! I got that in Sainsbury's. Perhaps my reputation is safe after all.    A recent shop included wine for immediate consumption and bottles of the cheapest vodka and whiskey that I could find.

My nephew told me that his mum had made Crab Apple Whiskey.  'I'll  give that a go!' I thought although I doubt it will last as long as the recommended  3-5 year steeping time!. I went in search of a crab apple tree.  I didn't have to look too far.  There's one by the gate of the park down the road.  While I was there I picked a few brambles as I've been thinking of making blackberry vodka for a while.  Christmas with me is going to be fun I can tell you.

'Having a party are we?' asked the young bloke on the till at Aldi.  I replied in the negative and then described my latest culinary endeavours.  He told me that he'd made marrow rum. Now I'd never heard of that one before.  One to add to the repertoire for 2017 maybe?  I can't make any more liqueurs.  It's getting a bit expensive.

As you can see the blackberry jar needs a top up.  I'll get some more fruit this weekend.  I've already bought another bottle of vodka.  They're a mine of information in Aldi.  This time another employee was keen to share his recipe.  It's a breeze.  All I'd need would be another bottle of vodka and a big packet of Werther's Originals!

11 comments:

  1. My b-i-l and I are the founder members of the Old Soak Club. Wanna join? I was trundling round the supermarket at 7am yesterday with a big bottle of Elderflower gin and a demijohn of cider. All presents...none of it for me...Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in a previous year when I was making sloe gin I was in Asda buying 4.5 litres of spirits at about 7 in the morning before work. Not a good look. I always feel the need to explain myself to the cashier! xx

      Delete
  2. I don't know if anyone that makes their own flavored liquors but could be quite fun to start. Maybe a sample batch to start small? I never knew sloe gin was actually made with a berry and never knew that such a thing called a sloe existed until reading British bloggers. Some fun was my mom's favorite and I thought it was "slow" for how long it processed to turn sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit of botanical education Sam. Sloes come from the blackthorn. They're related to damsons but smaller and terribly sour to the extent that they dry your mouth out. My friend Salty Dog will however eat them straight from the bush. xx

      Delete
  3. werthers? I wonder if it takes of toffee and cream? maybe like baileys? We have merlot brewing in the plant room! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should have a go at wine making too? It would be a bit cheaper than the liqueurs and I have a spot where the demi-johns would look decorative. xx

      Delete
  4. I don't homebrew or anything but I did have a great conversation about it the other night with a bloke in the pub. He was very happy someone wanted to see pictures of his foraging hauls too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right too. Us foragers are proud of our booty! xx

      Delete
  5. It's been a bumper year for blackberries in S Wales - I ran out of freezer space for them so moved on to making blackberry whiskey - thank Goodness for Aldi. I've been tasting a teaspoon of it regularly, so bottles may be bit short come Christmas....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh blackberry whiskey! There's another idea. It sounds just the job when you've got a cold. xx

      Delete
  6. I am not making any liqueurs this year and I am bereft! I like the sound of yours though.

    ReplyDelete