Thursday, 17 November 2016

Beard First

After moving into my house last winter I found out it was freakin' cold here during winter.  Those chill winds nip off the sea. If you look back to my post when I first bought my home you'll see that the downstairs living area compromising of an open plan kitchen, dining room, lounge and sun room is spacious. Yet there's only two radiators that were working overtime without significant effect.  Poor little Mr Metrosexual , who is a bit of a Walter Softy, used to come round and keep his woolly head and scarf on.  So what would help keep me, my family and friends more comfortable?  Lighting fires in those open hearths?  More radiators?   Even more blankets?  A little woodburner? -  being a bit girlie I fancied a  pretty little baby blue one.

For advice I turned to Lovelybloke.  After all he manages power plants.  His response was surprising.  'I've got just the thing.' he said and loaded my car with two big bags of soft toy stuffing material from his garage.  'Now stick this up your chimneys.'  I have four of them, two downstairs and two in the main bedrooms.  Louis threw himself into the project with gusto.  It's surprising sometimes what will grab a teenager's attention.
So we filled bin liner after bin liner with fluff.  Given that a kid was helping my house took on the appearance of the Battle of the Somme - teddy bear version!  I gave the bags a helpful push by sticking my feet up the chimneys.  Goodness knows what anyone would have thought if they'd seen me.  I was a bit too enthusiastic at one time and a bag burst.  It looked as if Santa had arrived early, head first.  He'll have problems bringing presents by the conventional route now.  My flues are well and truly stuffed.   Does that sound rude to anyone else or is my mind just particularly filthy?

Has it worked?  Blinkin' heck, yes indeed.  Immediately my house warmed up and now retains heat.  With the thermostat at its usual temperature it's actually a bit too hot and I had to shed a cardie.  Unheard of!

Apparently with open chimneys escaping  air has to be replaced about twenty times an hour.  If my memory serves me okay, which is doesn't always because I'm menopausal, Lovelybloke says that this figure has now been cut down to about twice hourly.  I'm no longer heating air that immediately gets channeled outside.  This will save on heating bills and keep us toastie warm.  A rather brilliant result indeed!



13 comments:

  1. What a brilliant (and simple) idea! So Lovelybloke isn't just a pretty face then..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Don't go for just pretty faces. xx

      Delete
  2. Don't forget it's there and light a fire brilliant idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my sister had a chimney she was told to stuff it with blankets inside black plastic bags...similar sort of idea. LB is already saving you money...good chap!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bloke gets better and better! We have no chimneys at all. Sadly, therefore no fires at all……only radiators. We sit round a radiator when it is cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How will Santa get down there now? No presents this year ;o(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious the previous owners just accepted the cold. Smart man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made some odd decision like not revamping the bathroom. Still left me with a little bit of space for being creative. xx

      Delete
  7. A simple solution and no extra costs involved, neat.

    ReplyDelete