Saturday, 28 January 2017

Teeny Activism

What is this world coming to when its most powerful leader feels perfectly comfortable professing his pro-torture stance?   My idea that humans are inherently good took a bit of a battering at that news.   A big ball of sadness welled up inside me.  That eye for an eye stuff where evil is fought with evil seems so counterproductive.

It's easy for us little peeps to feel that there's nothing that we can do to stop this madness. Our individual efforts to make the world a more caring and cared for place can seem ineffective in the face of corporate and political might but  we can't curl up in a ball and give up.  We have to try.  'It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness'.  That's the motto of Amnesty International.   As part of my own efforts to fight back I've joined them this morning and committed to giving a £3 monthly membership fee.  That's less than the cost of a fancy lunchtime sandwich.  I also made a donation and became a member of Reprieve, another organisation who campaign against torture and injustice around the world.

I share this without meaning to brag  for I still fall short in many ways. No I have written this post so that maybe one other person will be inspired to join me in standing against the injustice that Trump condones.  Can teeny activism be contagious?  I hope so.     My faith  in humankind hasn't really been thwarted.  I know that there are billions of  kind folk out there for I've met many of them.  There's surely enough of us to regroup to make a successful stand against this hatred.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have been pondering the very same thing. I am not a rule breaker nor really what I'd call an activist, but the events of the last week have made me realise that I need to change that in my own way. "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke. I shall be copying you and donating to Amnesty from today too....I am no saint. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hoping some semblance of humanity is in him, but his first week has been anger and evil. We all must do what we can, where we can, so humanity can surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a member of Avaaz a 44 million person global campaign network. Have a look at http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-blast-donald-trumps-nuclear-proliferation-statements-2016-3. We all just need to do our bit however small and focus on the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm a member too. Must up my response to campaigns. xx

      Delete
  4. Like Wendy I belong to Avaaz, also 38 Degrees and Sum of Us.

    ReplyDelete