Sunday, 26 February 2017

The Little Italian Job

My relationship with Leif  my little green  Citigo will come to an end this year.  It's been bittersweet. I was once Skoda's no 1 fan but not so now.  The fault with my cruise control that caused an accident went unexplained.  And I'm just about to speak to Skoda head office about whether it is acceptable that the tyre company alerted me to the fact that my brakes were dangerous just a month after a service.  When I had the pads replaced the old ones were 95% worn.

So I'm in the market for a new car.  Because I spend a lot of time in it, I prefer something that's a bit beyond basic, comfy with a good sound system.   Tiny is good because of the country lanes that I have to navigate on a day to day basis. Superlative fuel economy is also a must have.  After all I'm a single mum with a healthy holidaying habit to support so savings have to made somewhere.

So here's my first thoughts on the matter.  A  Fiat 500 lounge with a diesel engine that's supposed to give fuel economy of 83.1 mpg combined.  There's plenty of bells and whistles inside and out, sunroof, air conditioning, parking sensors and a nifty little sound system that would mean my singing days of the road aren't done.  We borrowed a version of this car on holiday and I was super impressed by its stylishness and the way it tackled those hair pin bends up to the Sierra Nevada's ski slopes.   Yes, I think my minds made up.   I've just got to think about the colour choice and the cheapest way of parking one on my driveway now.

12 comments:

  1. If I was having one of those I'd want it in pale blue or peppermint green. Unfortunately I'd not be able to fit in my wheelchair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so keen on the pale blue. It's a bit bright for me. the minty green was an option but Louis has pooh poohed that. There's a dark blue-green that he likes. I may have a fight on my hands. xx

      Delete
  2. I, too am in the market for a new (to me) car. So many decisions to make! I find myself reading reviews and stats when really I'm not interested in them. The fear of buying the wrong car for my use or being ripped off is great. Might put it off for another month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really handy to be able to hire one on holiday and have a test drive. xx

      Delete
  3. I have a bright blue Vauxhall Agila and it is brilliant.Small and easy to park and very economical.Big decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds ideal and quite similar to my needs. I'm very taken by the styling of the Fiat 500 though. What a poser! xx

      Delete
  4. You might want to reconsider the diesel option in view of the recent comment by a government minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about that. Will do a later post re: my decision making! xx

      Delete
  5. We have a Hyundai i10. I love it- it's nippy, great for small spaces and economical in terms of road tax and fuel. We've had a couple of Fiats in the past, but they were large family cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hyundai's are cute but the fuel economy isn't quite as good. As I do so many miles. xx

      Delete
  6. I'd recommend the Hyundai i10 as the biggest small car on the market. I've had Fiats before as well as other makes. The fuel economy in the Hyundai is excellent , and as someone said above, maybe you want you rethink the diesel option. Cars are a matter of personal taste and the only choice for me now in retirement is the cost! Happy car hunting. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a time when I needed bigger but no more. Again look out for my article re: the potential choice of the diesel option. I'll be doing one soon. xx

      Delete