Sunday, 16 April 2017

Wasp Art

Photo: Colossal
There was a time back along when wasps fell into the same personal category of animals as Komodo Dragons, the 'Why In God's Name Are They Still On This Earth' brigade.  A few experiences of being injected with their painful neurotoxin earned them that accolade.    Then one day a gang of them built a nest in my compost heap.  It was stunning.  No matter that I could not longer recycle my garden waste or kitchen scraps.  I left them to it and occasionally sneaked a peak.  I didn't get stung.

Then one day a neighbour in an adjoining house popped his head over the wall.  'Did you know you had a wasps nest in your compost heap?'  I feigned surprise for in those days I was a little less bothered about lying.  Anyway it was coming up to autumn and my 'lodgers' were getting a little more feisty and frightening his small children.  Sadly I called in the extermination people.

It isn't any wonder that I was very taken by this piece of animal art.  Yes, its from Colossal again.  I'm going to stop apologising for my over reliance on one source of ihnspiration.  A biology student left coloured paper around for wasps to build their home. This is the amazing result. 

10 comments:

  1. You introduced me to " Colossal" a while ago and I often have a look at the amazing things that appear there. Just been looking at the carved fruit. The lemon is beautiful!
    Have a happy Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think that way about wasps too, but with a little digging I found out that they're a really important part of controlling insect numbers. Their nests are a work of art aren't they!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now all we need to do is find a raison-d'etre for the Komodo Dragons! xx

      Delete
  3. I can appreciate all things in nature but wasps are welcome to a place far far from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I prefer them at a distance. xx

      Delete
  4. Couple of years ago I had an allergic reaction to a wasp sting and now have to carry EpiPens everywhere I go, so wasps are not among my favorite critters. As to Komodo Dragons, they give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can appreciate that this post might be a hard one for EpiPen carriers. I thought of that after writing it. xx

      Delete
  5. They are amazing creatures aren't they? I do like the coloured nest.

    This last week I have had two very large wasps in my flat, one was very dozy and the other was very buzzy. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange that they were in different states of alertness. Just goes to show that wasps are individuals too. xx

      Delete