Monday, 22 May 2017

Crafting in My Kitchen


As I promised I've managed to rustle up a crafting post today. I was so inspired by an article on the Royal Academy of Arts website that I decided to it try out with my friends.  'Buy pizza!'  I told Red Mel and Spiky Kay '  But make sure that it's on a polystyrene base'. We used packaging that would normally have gone to landfill to create a printing block.  So much cheaper than my usual lino and you don't need any special tools to make the marks.  We just used what we found in my kitchen. Here's Spiky Kay inking up her design.  She'll kill me for posting a picture of her with her tongue out in concentration but I thought that it was rather sweet!


Red Mel  is using the brilliant Slamma that my sister in law distributes in the United Kingdom.  It's much more space saving than a printing press and way more effortless than using the back of a spoon to make relief prints.  Right,  I think that it's time to put you out of suspense and reveal the results of our creative endeavours.


Here's Spiky Kay's collection of fossils and shells.  She's got a bit of a thing about ammonites.


Red Mel decided on a  very hippy dippy butterfly.


And this is mine.   The ink doesn't roll smoothly over the polystyrene and block is squishier.  These two variables mean my design changed with each imprint.  You don't achieve the same consistency as you do with lino.   At first I was disappointed.  But then my fuzzy octopus grew on me. He has an ethereal quality, as if he's being viewed from under the water.   My boys came round this afternoon and agreed.  They've bagsied a print for their wall.   That's one of the things I love about printmaking. It's a craft that lends itself to being very easily shared and gifted.

16 comments:

  1. I really like your 'fuzzy' octopus, all the prints are amazing seeing what you are printing with. Very impressed 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like. I've been trying to find the eighth leg in the picture. I know it's there somewhere! xx

      Delete
  2. Was that inspired by the photo you took at the Horniman Museum? What a brilliantly creative lot you all are.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! This boy came out of my own head. I'd forgotten the Horniman octopus. xx

      Delete
  3. Love these! I'm not a huge fan of lino prints (too overdone in school art class for me) but the polystyrene gives these give a far nicer effect. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Love lino prints. In fact I used some of the ink on old plates I'd cut as a friend wanted one of my old pictures. xx

      Delete
  4. These are fantastic, I particularly love your octopus! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would look brilliant on an all cotton T-Shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...or reusable shopping bags. You're giving me ideas. Thanks xx

      Delete
  6. How cool I love that! I think I will try this with my Great Nieces! Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a wonderful project for doing with children. That was the original suggestion but its for all ages really. xx

      Delete
  7. What a talented bunch of ladies you are, they are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has an inner artist. Some people take a lot of persuading that theirs is there. xx

      Delete
  8. Coo, I like those a lot! Well done everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just shows what can be made from stuff normally thrown away. I've got another one to play with. xx

      Delete