Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Proper Westcountry



Because of my London and Essex upbringing I have an estuarine twang.  It's not as marked as when I came to Devon in the early '80s but it's still there.  It re-emerges when I go back to stay with my family. A few days in Southend-on-Sea and there's glottal stops aplenty!

My boy is proud to be Devonian but there's not a trace of Westcountry when he speaks, although once when asking the way somewhere  a 'where's that to?' slipped out.  To my ear he sounds  like a generic posh kid.    But I love an accent and have a special fondness for the rich Westcountry ones. When I arrived in Exeter in the '80s people who spoke 'proper Devon' were two a penny.  I got used very quickly to being called 'me lover'  as a term of endearment.    Now it's rarer to hear people who speak like April and June here.  We live in a much more homogenous society.  It's sad that different dialects are dying out.

10 comments:

  1. BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

    www.BoycottBitches.com

    I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don't know how to cook or clean, don't want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

    American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

    This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of taking your comment down but then decided to reply instead. My blog is a place where I promote tolerance. Hatred has no place here and I abhor the use of the word 'inferior' about any human being. You seem like a very troubled, deeply hurt individual. There is much good in humankind including those American women that you seem to despise. Seek help for your anger and bitterness will eat you. I wish you well and hope you will find peace and respite from your bitterness. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Well that cheered me up at the start of the day! I love dialects from every part of the UK and I certainly didn't see the punchline coming in the story. Never play poker with the storyteller-she was so factual right to the very end. Thank you. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, love it. My Father in law is very rural Somerset, our daughter in law from Derbyshire had never heard some of the words he uses. It's surprising how different the Devon accent is to the Somerset one. One of our sons went to Uni in Plymouth and was picked up several times for 'where's that to'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somerset is a county I know and love well. There's different variations of that lovely accent. People from the North of the county up near Bristol sound different to those further South. xx

      Delete
  4. I have been watching with interest to see if you would remove the first comment as it has no relevance at all to your post. I think your answer is admirable and a far better response than I could have expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I thought a response was better than ignoring. I felt that I had to speak out. xx

      Delete
  5. I am real Devon when I say 'Newton Abbot'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol too - and saying in out loud in proper Devon. I've been here long enough to be a good mimic! xx

    ReplyDelete