Monday, 19 June 2017

Going, Going Gone!


I seem to be spending a lot of time in the pub these days. If it's not the quiz, which incidentally we lost on the tie break this month, it's the meat draw.  There's always something going on.  Over this weekend the Queen's Arms has been having a fundraising weekend for the Golden Vanity Trust to take away disadvantaged kids on a sailing holiday on a Brixham trawler.  The highlight of the weekend is the art auction.  I've been doing my bit by displaying a poster advertising the event in my window.  What's more I framed up one of my octopus prints and donated it to be raffled.


Louis came with me.  I gave him a budget of a tenner to bid with and he came home with a lovely photograph of the harbour which he won for £11.  Another punter around the other side of the bar took pity and stumped up the extra pound.  I'd seen a few pictures that I liked the look of but was outbid on them all.   You have to be strict with yourself at auction and set a price.  You can't get carried away!


My friend Sam the Beard's  painting in the style of a `1930's railway poster was one of the items that stole the show.  People came especially to try and win it and it went for over £100.  My octopus?  Well it raised £24, over the double the cost of the frame so I was happy.  Not bad for a print made out of a polystyrene pizza plate.

It seemed that I was going to come away empty handed but then my fortune changed.  I won this.  An intricate slate sculpture of a fishing harbour.  It's like a mosaic in 3D.  I'm thrilled to bits!

12 comments:

  1. It is truly gorgeous! You will be thrilled to look at this every day. Well done. You've been having a pretty lucky time- No?
    Is there a photo of your octopus print somewhere?
    Janf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan - I've added a link to the octopus print. Not the framed one though. Forgot to take a picture of that. Have painted another mount though and will be framing one for ourselves. Louis loves it. xx

      Delete
    2. I love it! Great job. JanF

      Delete
  2. What a prize! I'd love to look at this every day. Well done to Louis on winning his auction too. Need to catch up on your blog as we have been away. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. urgh blogger just ate my comment.

    As I was saying... I love what you have bought. I think its brilliant that some people are so artistic they see such beautiful end products in bits of slate, that I would use as weed suppressant! I love how the houses are a little wonky, it makes it look like they are yawning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so cool aren't they. I love it! xx

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear your octopus sold well! I can vouch that you have definitely been in the pub this weekend although I have to say your choice of hostelry in Totnes was mighty fine and the cider smashing!
    Arilxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Hope you had a safe journey home and liked the pub. I can sniff out a good hostelry. xx

      Delete
  5. I love our little landscape, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. It's so detailed. xx

      Delete