Thursday, 13 July 2017

Lunchtime Ramblings: What I Saw



Maybe I should do a series of posts about what I spot during my lunch breaks.  For I am getting better at going off duty towards the middle of the day.  A little breather to break the intense mental mayhem that comes with working with people with poorly headspace. What I do varies according to where I find myself.  Earlier in the week I popped up to the motorhome to do a few jobs as I'd just finished a meeting only a couple of miles away.

Yesterday I had a little wander up the main drag in Totnes.  Fore Street, a common name in Devon towns, leads into High Street.  There's some  chain stores:  Bastins,  Peacocks, Supadrug, Mountain Hardwear, WH Smith but they're far outweighed by the independent retailers.  And it's not just arty farty places either.  There's a tourist place that I know in Somerset that you'd be hard pressed to buy a loaf of bread.  But not so here.  There are food shops, a cobblers,  stationers and yes, a smattering of charity shops.   Kingsbridge, where I often work is pretty much the same too.  Maybe it's a model for how high streets should be.

This caught my eye in the Bowie Gallery at the top of town.  I'm showing it as I saw it, complete with reflections.  It's a wonderfully inspirational piece of mosaic by artist Susan Elliott.  The prize tag was a bit daunting so unless I win the lottery some time soon, it won't be adorning my walls.  But I might be inspired to add a bit of 3D to my own arty designs.

10 comments:

  1. I was very smitten with Totnes when we met up last month.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved it. There are worse places to wander around at lunchtime. xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like your midday wanderings are a workplace necessity. You are fortunate that you are experiencing interesting sites as well. I'd love to see your posts on what you see on your breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay - will come up with some novel ideas for lunchtime breathers. xx

      Delete
  3. Yes please! That would be a fun project, I agree with SAM.
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a fun project. What we dismiss as commonplace rarely is to other people. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowt queer as folk comes to mind. xx

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love Totnes! I'd love to see your 3d work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK - will have to start smashing up a bit of china. Good for stress release I think. xx

      Delete