Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Pasta Brixham-nese

The other week my littl'un, who  will always be my baby but now is a shade taller than me and has a big deep voice, had a poorly tummy. He was off school for a whole week.  He said that while he was sick he thought fondly about all the food that he wasn't able to eat.  'Can you make me a bolognese on Monday?' he asked when he phoned from his Dad's house the other day.  It was one of the things that he'd craved.  How could I refuse?

I had a problem though with not much time to gather together ingredients that don't fall foul of 'Plastic Free July'.  My usual meaty pasta sauce contains minced beef and bits of bacon to boost the flavour.  I've run out of those and I didn't have time to source ethically wrapped meat for the butcher.    One of my rules to get me through this month is that I'm allowed to use up stuff in plastic packaging that I've already got in the house.  So I rummaged about and came up with some lamb mince and half a stick of chorizo sausage.  I also found some mushrooms lurking in the back of the fridge that had been there for a while.  Instead of going off they'd freeze dried themselves.  Waste not, want not I thought. They could be used too.

So here's a rustled up ragu recipe, Brixham not Bologna style!

Chop an onion, grate a carrot, crush garlic to taste and fry in a pan until softened.  Don't wash the grater yet but use it to shave off a big pile of chorizo.  Add that to the pan with the mince to brown and the chopped up dried mushrooms.  They smell wonderful but I'm not sure how you'll replicate my happy accident.  Once that's done add a tin of tomatoes, half a pint of water, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika and pepper.  Leave to simmer until thickened.  Stir into pasta and serve topped with parmesan.  It was pronounced delicious by my very fussy fourteen year old food critic.  And there's enough over to make a shepherds pie for later in the week. He's pleased about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment